Friday, August 31, 2012

Past the Point of No Return

No, not the Phantom of the Opera song.

In case you're wondering what got me into D&D to begin with, it was A Reader's Guide to R.A. Salvatore's the Legend of Drizzt. I must have flipped through it a dozen times before I decided to pick up the book series and from there I was well beyond the point of no return into true geekdom. I poured over the maps of Forgotten Realms (because the book came with a big fold out map) like this
Faerun World Map

And frankly, who couldn't help but drool over Todd Lockwood's incredible art? Drizzt Do'Urden, in my mind, will forever look as he does on the cover of The Silent Blade. Deadly stealth, waiting to spring from a silent crouch. Scimitar gripped tightly, ready to do its bloody, methodical work. (clears throat) Sorry, kinda got lost there for a second.

I can't recommend this fantastic book series enough. You could start with The Crystal Shard, but I'd advise starting at the very beginning and go from there. It paints such a better picture of who Drizzt is and what he can become when necessary. The first 3 books have been called some of Salvatore's best writing to date. It would be very hard to disagree with that statement. Having just finished the non-Forgotten Realms, The Crimson Shadow trilogy, those 3 books (mine was one volume) are right up there among my favorite fantasies I've ever read. It has a much more "real world" feel, probably because it's so obviously based on the United Kingdom post-Roman occupation.

In case you're completely unfamiliar with the Forgotten Realms, these fill it out in every minute detail
Forgotten Realms Wiki

Forgotten Realms Index

Dig in. Don't look back. Stay hydrated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment