Thursday, May 10, 2012

Schiehallion Map

These are some very basic, very rough maps of the main continent of my original world. I have no idea what to call the whole planet/world itself, I have only ever referred to it as Schiehallion, which is in fact only the very northern part of this continent. 


I decided to use Ireland because the shape itself has a lot of character and potential. It's also because the majority of names for people and places comes from Gaelic. The actual mountain Schiehallion is almost dead center in Scotland, but I used the Scotland map as the ancestral homeland of the humans in this world. The top center has been modified a bit to house what was originally in my head for the terrain. This may change as time goes on and the story develops, but seeing as how this was the first of 8 continents and they all fit together (or did in the very distant past) like Pangaea I would most likely have to change a lot of other stuff if I modify this. 

Here is some pencil work I was toying with once I had the full continent in shape. Only the northern third (above the dotted line) has spent any time getting really developed, the rest was just an idea for filler. Looking at it now I don't think the landmass will be big enough to encompass an equatorial region. Although it may have to because I always pictured a large southwestern island (that map will come later) as being like a tundra. We'll see.

 
 To give a loose idea of scale, the map takes up a full sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper. If 1 cm = 100 miles it would be approximately 3,000,000 square miles. This would seem more like a continent roughly the size of the US or Europe. Or if 1 inch = 100 miles it would be considerably smaller at about 630,000 square miles - roughly twice the size of Texas. I think for the variety of climate, terrain, and time taken to travel distances that I originally imagined, it would be better served to have the whole landmass America sized and the immediate area surrounding Schiehallion mountain (the large cone near the northern coast) would be about Texas size. 

I'm eager for any input in case there's something I haven't considered. Nils I'm kinda talking to you here ;)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment