Friday, October 26, 2012

NaNoWriMo Prep

Ok all you would-be writers, sharpen your pencils! NaNoWriMo is nearly upon us.

There's a great post over at TTYU - give it some serious consideration.

TTYU Worldbuilding considerations

She even provides the link to her hang outs (discussions with other writers and builders) and the needed subjects.

TTYU Worldbuilding hangouts

You'll notice in her comments that I offered worldbuilding assistance, because I know myself better than to dive into writing 30,000 words in a month. It's all about laying foundations and research and other prep work. That's what I do. I don't often refer to myself as "a writer".

If you want worldbuilding help (maps, gods, history, characters, etc) leave a comment or email me.

Here's a little quiz for you. There are no right or wrong answers, but there had better be answers. It's even better if they are automatic/instinctual.

What if you started a fantasy novel knowing nothing of weapons, armor, magic, travel? Or if you had no idea what the world looked like beyond the would-be hero's village? What beasts live in the wilds, are there elves in the woods, dwarves in the mountains, evil wizards in tall towers? How is the kingdom run, democracy/monarchy/theocracy? Is the leader good or bad, old or young, wise or foolish? What are the laws? How do people dress and talk? What is the economy, is it currency or barter? Is it a farming village or do they trade goods for food? What do they trade: ore, textiles, leather, wool, tools? Where is said village? Where is it in relation to other places? What's the climate? How does the weather effect lifestyle, ecology, travel?
If you couldn't easily answer ALL of those questions, you're not ready to write yet. That's where I come in!
I won't hold my breath, since the requests haven't exactly been pouring in, but the offer stands.

3 comments:

  1. I'm really trying hard to finish something for this years' NaNoWriMo. I've been too laid back about it the past few years. I'm busy plotting and preparing, ready to start on the the 1st of November. I'd better succeed this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck, friend. I know the story I would tell and when you consider it's only about 3-4 pages per day it doesn't seem so daunting, but I'd have a lot of old notes to review and lay groundwork for. Maybe next year. If you need any help, email me.

      Delete
  2. I won't do NaNoWriMo this year, I know I wouldn't be able to complete it. Too many other things to do, and too much time wasted on a dayjob.

    ReplyDelete